Pages

January 5, 2011

At school yesterday, I was extremely excited see the dinner being served was vegetarian.  Our work provided meals have been interesting in the past.  The "cooks" serve up whatever they have around.  Usually Vermicelli noodles, with some sort of broth and mystery meat.  Often liver is included along with massive clots of blood, which, even after removing from your bowl, leave an iron taste that resides deep in your gut.  I usually find myself still burping that taste the next morning.  When I peeked into my bowl last night, I saw tofu!  Unfortunately, the soup was full of different kinds of mushrooms.  A lot of the shrooms where the long and skinny kind, which blended in perfectly with the noodles.  I am allergic to mushrooms.  I tried to pick around it, but gave up in the end.

I went to work hungry and left even hungrier.
After work we headed out on the town with a friend.  We started at a pretty classy joint called Arnolds.  They had a live band and were inviting dinners to join them on stage and sing.  I ordered "Crab Vermicelli with Handle."  The menu had some of the funniest translations I have seen to date!  We split the large portion of crab, noodles and veggies three ways plus ordered a massive helping of shrimp (I don't eat shrimp).  Wine was ordered and by the end of the night I was singing on stage (I regaled the small group of late night stragglers with an off key 'Yesterday.'

Before heading home and hitting the hay we stopped by one of our favorites, good old Assport for a last drink or three.  I was still hungry so I ordered a vegetable curry.  It was unnecessary and I am kicking myself today for eating it.

This morning started off like a nightmare.  An early alarm wake up, snooze button, scrambling, picking up the house.  Why all this work before coffee?  Mui, our wonderful Vietnamese maid, started work today.  She will come back every other Wednesday to clean our house for as long as we live here.  She is a total sweetheart, and although our ideas of "clean" are night and day, it feels good to be giving such a nice woman (and mother of two) a good chunk of change to push dirt around.

Breakfast included Milo with milk and this fruit plate.  It contained jack fruit (learned I am allergic to fresh jack fruit this morning), a kiwi, and a pear.

I had a yogurt.

Gavin got melty, cheesy whole wheat shandwhiches with bacon inside.  I got just one bite.

I feel uninspired today.

No comments:

Post a Comment