Pages

January 5, 2011

White Bean Burgers

I thought I would make black bean burgers, yet with unforeseen hurdles, I tweaked the recipe and came out with something new and strange and appetizing.  I soaked my black beans for 12 hours, and cooked them for 2 hours, but for some reason they remained pretty hard.  Sometimes legumes don't comply; this is life.  I think they needed an extra hour or two of cook time, but my 21st century patience wears thin quickly.  Due to time restraints and work looming in the near future, I decided to use a can of white beans I had in the cupboard instead.  I will employ the water-logged black beans to use later this week.  The finished product tasted fine; however, the mass fell apart and refused to get back together during the cooking process.
Consequently, I broke the patties up and cooked them as if I was scrambling an egg, just to cook them all they way through and prove to them that their insolent behavior would not be tolerated.  Once cooked, I reformed them into patties with a spoon and put them into their toasted buns.  It looked pretty awful and I was pleased to be serving only Gavin and I.
 We topped them with olive oil mayo, packaged ketchup, Teresa Heinz mustard, barely ripe tomatoes and artfully wilted lettuce.  The finish product tasted good, but looked rather circumspect.




2 comments:

  1. @Lindsay I know, right. At least they weren't a huge waste of my time!

    ReplyDelete