Pages

December 25, 2010

Remodeling Street Food

I was feeling a little creative today when lunch time came around.  Gavin and I went to the electronic kingdom down the street to buy a DVD player (a Christmas present to ourselves) and passed the Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich) stand we often hit up before work.  We are both getting really sick of normal Banh Mi.  The meat can be wretched at times and generally makes me want to become a strict vegetarian.  There are always clouds of flies swarming around it and huge chunks of fat left attached.
A normal Banh Mi with meat

Today I  thought of a way to spice it up a bit.  We bought two sandwiches with no meat.  As this is pretty much unheard of here, the poor sandwich guy was confused!  The fresh baguettes were stuffed with cucumber, daikons, carrots, hot peppers and cilantro with a hefty dose of soy sauce on top.  I took these babies home and sauteed slices of tofu, green cabbage and purple cabbage in a little oil and Thai Chili sauce.  Once the tofu had browned and the veggies had softened, I added them into the Banh Mi.  It was perfect.  Nice and spicy, hearty and healthy.  I feel like this might become a regular.
My wonderful remodeled street food!

No comments:

Post a Comment